Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

My wife kicked me out of the house on Saturday evening, Can

My wife kicked me out of the house on Saturday evening, Can she legally do so? And what are my rights?

Hello there

-

If you are a one half owner of the house then she did not have the legal right to kick you out of the house unless she called the police and claimed you were violent and then took out a restraining order against you. Other than that, unless she files for divorce and gets a court order from the judge when the divorce is final regarding who gets the house and who can live there and not live there, then you have every right to go back to your house and if she refuses to let you in you can call the police and ask them to assist you to get back into your house.

-

Please let me know if you have further questions.

-

MARY

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time.. I am paid NOTHING unless you press a positive rating below. Pressing a positive rating below will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger for Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your time and speedy answer. Background.... My now wife purchased the house prior to our engagement and marriage, However she refinanced the house two years ago (after our marriage) at which time my name was placed on the deed. Does this constitute 50% ownership?

Michael -

-

Yes it does constitute 50% ownership so long as she actually signed a deed with your name on it also and it was recorded at the property records when the house was refinanced. If not, then you do not have a one half ownership interest in the house.

-

-

MARY