How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been contacted by a collection company about an old

This answer was rated:

I have been contacted by a collection company about an old debt, i.e. 2000-2002 timeframe. I don't deny the debt is mine, however do I have any defense in that a statute of limitations has passed?.
The debt was either unsecured or secured loan made in Kentucky. Since 2001, I have lived in Pennsylvania. They have offered a reduce settlement but I have not committed to it. I simply mentioned by phone that I would need more information on the debt.
Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you for your question.

When was the last time you made a payment on this debt? You say that the loan may have been secured? Do you have any more details on this debt, or is it something that you lost track with and need the information from the debt collector?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

According to the collection guy (Northland Group) I spoke to the original creditor is AmeriCredit, now apparently known as Springleaf Financial Services. If that's the case, I believe this then to be some kind of balance owed on a repossessed auto from 10-12 years ago. (They are telling me the balance owed is 2539.60). I haven't done anything on this in many years, possibly as many as 11 years. As I recall, the last time I may have spoken to them is when I asked them to produce documentation as to what the car resold for to validate my balance owed. I received nothing. I haven't been contacted on this ever since until now. By the way, this debt does not show up on my credit report. Thanks for your help.

Thank you for your response.

This debt is indeed far past the statute of limitations. It is also too old to list on your credit report. Accordingly, they cannot force the collection in the courts. This does not mean they cannot continue to try to collect from you. It simply means they cannot sue you for the debt.

However, they are limited by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. What I would do in your shoes is:

1. Tell them that you want them to send you all the information they have on the debt in writing because you do not believe you owe anything on the debt.

2. Obtain their mailing address.

3. Send a certified letter stating that you are not going to acknowledge the debt and demand that they immediately stop all collection efforts pursuant to the FDCPA.

If they do not comply with your request, you can sue them for penalties under the FDCPA.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your expert help.

My pleasure. Good Luck

I wanted to follow up with you regarding your debt collection legal issue. Were you able to obtain the mailing address from the debt collector?

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions