Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Back in 2005 we got married in Antigua how would I find out

Back in 2005 we got married in Antigua how would I find out if this marriage is legal in the state of KY ? Someone told me that getting married out of the US is not legal is this true?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, who told you that getting married outside the US is not recognized in the US? That happens to not be true. So long as the marriage does not violate US law, it is recognized in the US. You can bring the certificate to the local courts and have the judge evaluate it if you are worried, but to be frank so long as the marriage does not violate state law, it is binding in the US.

Good luck.