Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

We just purchased a vacation ownership points program with

We just purchased a vacation ownership points program with Pueblo Bonito resorts in Los Cabos, Mexico, and they required a 25% down payment (over $14,000) via credit card. In fine print on the back of the contract it says you have five business days to cancel. We want to cancel but they gave us a copy in our paperwork of a cardholders acknowledgement saying down payment is irrevocable. We signed the credit card charge for this amount. Is it possible to get this money back.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

In a case similar to this, the purchaser would have to provide the vacation ownership points program with written cancellation notice and also demand for a full refund.

If this company refuses to refund your downpayemt, then you can also dispute the charge for downpayment with your credit card company, based on the promise of the cancellation within 5 days by this company.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. In your opinion, can this additional cardholders acknowledgement nullify the five day cancellation policy that is on the back of the contract which shows purchase price, deposit and amount still due?

Dear Ron,

Thank you for your follow up.

I am not permitted to provide customers with any type of legal opinion or legal advice and can only provide you with a general answer.

Given the limited facts you have provided, the contract should control and it is likely that credit card company would rule in the favor of the consumer in a similar situation.

I wish you the best of luck!