Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Actor Residuals Question! My old agent did nothing for me--I

Actor Residuals Question!

My old agent did nothing for me--I literally self-submitted through his LA Casting account, and continue to call payroll myself to get my residuals!

The residuals are currently routed to my old agent, but believe my new agent would do a much better job of handling my assets. What material do I need to have so that I can cover my ass when rerouting my residuals?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Is your old agent entitled to a share of the residuals as part of your contract with him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

From what I understand, he is. However, I believe he is in breach of the standard SAG franchised agency agreement (http://www.sagaftra.org/files/sag/documents/Standard_AFTRA_Exclusive_Agency_Contract_ExhibitC.pdf) from what I have heard. I just need to know whether this is true, based on our situation.

Thank you! You're the best.

Thank you. I needed to make sure to tell you the proper way to do this.

If he has breached his contractual obligation and duties to you, I am afraid you have to sue him in court for breach of contract and breach of his duty to you and ask the court to terminate the contract and his right to residuals. This is the legal way to cut off his right to collect those residuals and if you try to just change them to the new agent without court order, the old agent will end up suing you for breach of contract.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.