Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.

I bought a motorcycle that was described as a no expense spared

I bought a motorcycle that was described as a no expense spared complete restoration off the internet for 5000.It turns out that it needs 3000 worth of repairs and is undrivable.I have never been able to ride it.I have estimates to repair it.The seller is in NY and I am in Calif.I gave this to the ny district attorney and I think I might be wasting my time.The seller has turned out to be a used car dealer but was sold to me with a phoney bill of sale.Dealer Unit in NY says good luck because he did not sell it to me as a dealer and did nothing for me..What are your thoughts..Thanks Steven
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be glad to assist you in any way I can,

What do you mean by a "phony bill of sale" ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I purchased the motorcycle in June..The bill of sale was a hand written bill of sale dated march 2013.In other words the bill of sale appeared to be what would be called open.This guy bought the bike from John Doe and John scribbled a vin # XXXXX left out the names and price.This avoids taxes and paying the fees to properly register this.It was on ebay and there is no protection as the bike is vintage1973..none through paypal either

You stated that the seller turned out too be a used car dealer. In that case, he needs a license in order to operate his business. So, the best place to look for help is by filing a Complaint with the New York State Attorney General's Office. The first link is for consumer complaints and the one below it is the Frauds division of that office so you can take your pick:

New York Attorney General - Complaints - http://www.ag.ny.gov/complaint-forms

New York Attorney
General - Fraud - http://www.ag.ny.gov/bureau/consumer-frauds-bureau

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, Please rate a 10 as it gives me a greater opportunity to assist other customers on this website and is greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The dealer investigation unit said because he did not write a bill of sale from his business they could do nothing..The business is under a corporation I was told. He told me he owned Sayville Auto Body when I did a google the location was Sayville Auto Body and Used car Sales on the signage..motorcycle was shipped from that business location.Anyway I am in the process with Suffolk County DA who forwarded everything to NY City Broadway location which concerns me as I am thinking it will be a similar situation like the dealer unit.Sorry buddy type of thing,go away..If the DA fails to help then its small claims correct?And sue him not the business but as he represented himself as an individual..One more question here..If this ends up in small claims.I think I need the repairs done,not just estimates as I would need some actual financial proof,checks,recipts etc,not just estimates..correct or no..at this point I have done no repairs as I don't know the outcome

To be on the safe side, when you fill out the Complaint form for Small Claims Court, name him individually and the corporation if he operates in the form of a corporation. After his name as an individual, if he operates under a business name, write it like this,

XXXXX XXXXX d/b/a Sayville Auto Body and Used Car Sales

So, you will have all bases covered.

You do not need to have the work already done, You can go to Court with 3 estimates and tell the Judge you don't have the money to have this work done and you did not think it would need any work the way the seller advertised it.

You should also report him to eBay because eBay doesn't want people like him scamming the public because then it ruins eBay's reputation,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

In Calif we can either sue the person or the business..I am thinking I am going to have to do the work as far as County Clerk dig out the Corp and try to tie his name to it..Isthis possible for me to do....The dealer unit did not want the hassle..in my opinion lazy..anyway thanks for the input on this..Its been the worst case of fraud I've dealt with and I have made alot of transactions in my 56 years..Steven

You are welcome,

You can sue more than one party in a single action, so you do not have to put all your eggs in one basket. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating, that is the only way I can get credit for assisting you,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.