Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

Hello, Im Jay, I have a friend that Im trying to help.

I'm Jay, I have a friend that I'm trying to help. I would like some advice on her situation. Two class A felonies, first offense. Mother of a 2 1/2 year old daughter ,24yrs of age. The crime: armed robbery. She was made this offer-plea guilty to Count 1-Robbery in the Second Degree(lessser-included); Count 2-Terroristic Threatening in the First Degree Count 4-Theft in the Third Degree;Count 5-Theft in the Forth Degree;Count 6-Theft in the Forth Degree;Count 7-Place to Keep Pistol or Revolver; Count 8-Permits to Aquire and Count 8-Registration Mandatory. The State will dismiss Count 3. There will be no "Alford " plea. Stipulate to ten years in prison. The victim, lawyers, and judge all rule for probation only. Also numerous friends and family who know her and her situation, character, and life. But, the Prosecutor says it will not look good because of the media that was in the newspaper. This is her Second Offer. I believe in not taking this offer but she is not sure. What would you advise her to do? Thanks for your time and have a nice day. regards, Jay

Hello there Jay --

-

When you state that the victim, etc all rule for probation do you mean that she stipulates to 10 years in jail but she will receive probation for that time period?

-

How much time is she looking at if she does not take this deal ?

-

MARY

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for taking so long to get to you. But, No, everyone wants her to only get probation. The Prosecutor wants to give her time. 20years, but if she takes the deal, she'll get a open 10years. I've seen way more severe cases then this and they got just probation. Besides, If you met her you would feel the same. Shes looking at an open ten if she agrees to pleading guilty to those counts metioned earlier.

regards, Jay

Jay

-

I wish I could tell you exactly what to do but you know that it is difficult from this vantage point. When a person has criminal charges like these brought against them, the deck is really stacked up against them if they have evidence that the person committed the crime. If the state has to spend the money on a full trial then they are going to be annoyed and you know that they will ask for the maximum and will most likely get close to it. That is why a careful weighing of the evidence is in order and if there is a chance that she will be found guilty then she may want to take the deal and hope that she does just get the probation. If she is able to get just the probation then she really needs to keep her record clean from this point forward because if anything happens again then she will have the book thrown at her.

-

MARY