Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Can my landlord seize my car and tell me that he wont release

Can my landlord seize my car and tell me that he won't release it to me unless I pay him $500 dollars? Other info: I am a non citizen who had to leave the country when my student visa expired, however I paid rent up until 23 days ago. When I returned to claim my car several days ago, I found that my landlord had seized the keys, which I had left in a neighbor's possession, so I was unable to reclaim my car sooner. The car's title is also not in my name, it's in my ex-wife's name. There are several boxes of my property in the trunk of the car, as well.

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

No, there is no provision in the law allowing a landlord to seize a vehicle.

JD 1992 :

Even if you owed him money, for something other than car repair, he isn't allowed to seize your property to try and make you pay for it.

Customer:

Does that apply even if the car has been on his property for this length of time (23) days?

JD 1992 :

Correct.

JD 1992 :

Unless you signed something saying he had the right to charge you for the car being there. I should have added "storage fees" in addition to the car repair exception.

Customer:

There was no provision in the lease, parking was included.

Customer:

He says he will take me to small claims court unless I forfeit the car or pay the 500 dollars, are there any laws that I can specifically reference in my conversation with him?

JD 1992 :

He's not supposed to seize the vehicle and hold it for payment then.

JD 1992 :

No, the problem is there aren't any laws on this because he's not allowed to do it. To be allowed to do it there would have to be a law allowing it and there is not.

JD 1992 :

Call the police and advise them that he is holding it and ask for them to help. They are probably going to tell you it is a civil matter but try anyway.

JD 1992 :

At this point it is theft.

Customer:

So at this point, he is legally in the wrong not me?

Customer:

I'm asking because I'm not sure if he can claim I "abandoned" the property when I left the country, though I paid him rent so that seems improbable.

JD 1992 :

Yes, you may owe him but he is in the wrong. No question about it.

JD 1992 :

No, abandonment requires more than a few weeks.

Customer:

thanks for your help.

JD 1992 :

I'm not sure of the exact time but it will be months.

JD 1992 :

You're very welcome. You may want to hire a lawyer to write him a letter. That shoudl get results fast.

Customer:

Thanks again.

JD 1992 :

Best wishes to you on this and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I get credit for my work. The website only gives credit to the expert if you give a Positive Rating.