Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
19958803

This question is regarding a former tenant whom I evicted in

This question is regarding a former tenant whom I evicted in February of this year. I recently found out that he is still using my address to run his contracting business out of. I also found out that he is using my address on loan applications. Is this this legal?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
I recently found out that he is still using my address to run his contracting business out of. I also found out that he is using my address on loan applications. Is this this legal?
.
It wouldn't be illegal per se to say he is operating out of an incorrect location, because someone can say that their business is located anywhere and it wouldn't be any type of criminal violation. However, it might be a violation of any licensing or permitting laws that he is subject to if he is a licensed contrator or business.
.
Now, if he is saying this is his location in loan applications, then that could be considered fraud if he is lying to lenders about where his principle place of business is. But this is something that the lender would have to pursue because they are the potential "victim" here. You could notify them in writing about the eviction and include a copy of any formal eviction order and they may decide to take action based on that.
.
Further, if he is a licensed contractor, you can contact the agency that licenses him and also notify them in writing with a copy of the eviction order that he is no longer operating from that location. They too can take action against his license if he is misrepresenting his address or even if he has failed to update his address as required by their licensing code.
.
But as for getting him charged with something criminally, no, you aren't going to be able to do that on your end..
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Even if he benefiting financially by using my address

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure what you are asking...
.
Are you asking if the fact that he is benefitting financially make this a crime to use your address?
.
If so, the answer is still no with regard to you. It would be fraud from the lender's perspective if he is getting loans stating he is at your address and that is some factor they are considering when making the loan though.
.
But if you are asking if you can file a criminal complaint against him and have him prosecuted for saying he is operating out ofXXXXXwhen he isn't actually there, then the answer is no. No DA would ever file formal criminal charges for this type of thing unless someone was being defrauded and suffered damages because of it.
.
.
Thanks
Barriser
Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs