Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

can i get married tomorrow

can i get married tomorrow

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Customer:

hello

Brandon M. :

Hello, thank you for your question.

Customer:

no problem

Brandon M. :

Have you received a marriage license yet?

Customer:

no i have not

Customer:

find it uncostitutional to need a license

Customer:

can i get married without a 3 day wait

Brandon M. :

Well, here's the situation. In Texas, you have to get a marriage license at least 72 hours before the marriage ceremony is officiate for the wedding to be official. That said, Texas also recognizes something called common law marriages. Are you familiar with how common law marriages work?

Brandon M. :

Common law marriages are just as valid as any other marriage in the state of Texas. They only have three requirements. The couple must (1) agree to be married, (2) live together as husband and wife, and (3) tell other people that they are married. If the couple does these things, they are considered married under the law. No marriage license is required. A ceremony is optional, but not required.

Brandon M. :

So it is possible to marry in Texas without waiting three days, or even without a license, as long as these requirements are met.

Customer:

so if my girlfriend and I have lived together as man and wife for the past year then we proclaim ourselves married via common law

Brandon M. :

Don't forget that there are three requirements. As you said, the couple must live together as man and wife and they must tell other people that they are married. They must also agree to be married.

Brandon M. :

If you only meet two requirements, you are not married under the common law.

Brandon M. :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

we have live together as man and wife and refered to ourselves as married and we agree to be married so would that mean we are married'

Brandon M. :

When you say that you referred to yourselves as being married, does that mean that you have told other people that you are married?

Brandon M. :

Or did you just refer to yourselves as being married to each other?

Brandon M. :

If a couple only says it to each other, that isn't enough. It has to be said to other people.

Customer:

we have told other people that we are married but only a few other couples our closest friends

Customer:

does that count

Brandon M. :

As long as a couple is living together as man and wife, agrees to be married, and tells other people that they are married, they are considered to have married in Texas. It counts even if they only tell a few close friends.

Brandon M. :

It is called a "common law marriage", and it is every bit as valid as a regular marriage in the state of Texas.

Brandon M. :

Has this information been helpful?

Customer:

very much thank you

Customer:

i am satisfied

Brandon M. :

Great. Did you have any other question?

Customer:

non that is all i hope there is only a one time fee associated with this question

Brandon M. :

As long as you did not sign up for a monthly subscription plan, you will only be charged once.

Customer:

thanks a ton

Brandon M. :

My pleasure. I wish you the best!