Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
19958803

I cosigned a bail bond for a friend. He had been making his

I cosigned a bail bond for a friend. He had been making his payments regularly to the bondsman and showed up for court. Sometime after he was arrested again for something else. Someone else got him out of jail for this arrest, I had nothing to do with it. He still owed the bondsman the fee I guess for the arrest that I cosigned to help get him out of jail. For the past month I am getting calls from the bondsman saying that he isn't making his payments and is hard to get in touch with. Today I talk to the bonds man and he is telling me that my friend has a court date two days from now and they can't get in touch with him and I need to get in touch with him so that he shows up and this doesn't fall back on me. It was my understanding that he had made the court date for the arrest on the first charges which I cosigned for, and this court date was about the charges that led to the second arrest which I had nothing to do with. Am I really responsible for him showing up to this court date as well?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Am I really responsible for him showing up to this court date as well?
.
No, if you only bailed him out for the first charge, then you are only responsible for making sure that he appears for any court dates related to that charge. The bail bondsman can't stretch your responsibility to cover the second offense since you didn't have anything to do with that bond. It is the duty of the person who bonded him out on that one to keep track of him and make sure he appears for those dates.
.
The bail bondsman is calling you since you are associated with the defendant and I am sure that they are calling the other person as well.
.
But no, you aren't responsible for his appearances on the second charge.
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay I thought that was the case, but they were insisting that if he didn't appear in court it would be on me. I have one more question, if you don't mind.

Shouldn't I be able to just pay for whatever fees he owes the bondsman for what the part that I cosigned and be done with the whole situation?

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
.
Well, the problem with a bond is that typically the bondsman charges 10% as a fee for posting a bond. But if the person doesn't show up, the bondsman has to pay the entire bail bond to the court.
.
So if the defendant had a $10K bond, and the fee is $1,000 then even once the $1,000 is paid, the co-signer is still on the hook for the $10K if the defendant doesn't show up for court.
.
If you don't have the money to put up for the entire bond for the person, then there is no way to get released from the obligation until the defendant's case is over and he has shown up for all his court appearances.
.
.
Thanks
Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs