JaxLaw
JaxLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Estate Planning (i.e. wills, trusts, power-of-attorney doc.s, living wills, etc.), Probate and more
9345660

q:? regarding making audio recordings: 1- one on on in your

q:? regarding making audio recordings: 1- one on on in your home, 2-with three people in your home, 3-taping a phone conversation while on speaker phone and other people can hear both sides of conversation, 4-taping an interaction with a law enforcement person

DISCLAIMER - This answer is not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. The information provided is for educational purposes only. For specific advice regarding your situation, please consult a qualified attorney in your area.

Hawaii is a one party consent state. This means that it is legal to record a conversation if one of the parties to the conversation has consented to the recording (unless the recording is used for an illegal purpose). However, no individual can plan surveillance equipment. http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol14_Ch0701-0853/HRS0803/HRS_0803-0042.htm

Hawaii is a part of the 9th Circuit of the US Court of Appeals. The 9th Circuit has case law supporting a First Amendment right to record police. see Fordyce v. City of Seattle, 55 F.3d 436, 438 (9th Cir. 1995)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so taping another person who is unaware is ok? and taping a speakerphone conversation w/o telling other party is OK too?

also I have a contract for photovoltaic panels to be installed for free, except there is a four page contract with very small print. how can i get this contract reviewed for "gotchas" and other pitfalls?

Yes, as long as the person recording the conversation is a party to the conversation.

I am afraid that you cannot upload contracts here. I am unfamiliar with photovoltaic panels. However, I would worry about anything offered "for free" with "very small print".

Hello Customer, I have not received any contract to review.

Hello Customer, I still have not received any contract to review. I will not be able to do the follow-up scheduled for later today.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i had provided a link to D/L a .pdf version of contract for your review yesterday in preparation of our mutual conversation today 11 am HST

here is link again:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90404494/Vivint%20Solar-20aug13-contract--total%204%20pgs-B.pdf