Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

GOOD EVENING I AM BEING TOLD TO PAY AN EXISTING NURSING HOME

GOOD EVENING I AM BEING TOLD TO PAY AN EXISTING NURSING HOME BILL FOR MY MOM.SHE WAS IN A NURSING HOME AND ACCRUED A 17K BILL.MEDICAID WAS NOT APPROVED AT THE TIME AND THE MEDICAID THAT WAS APPROVED WAS COMMUNITY MEDICAID WHICH WAS FOR HOMEBOUND PATIENTS WHICH IS WHAT WE EVENTUALLY GOT.I DID SIGN A PAPER AT NURSING HOME SAYING THAT I WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR BILL PAYMENTS.HOWEVER I WAS SENDING ONE HUNDRED A MONT FOR PAST TWO YEARS NOW THE HOME IS STRONGARMING ME FOR FULL AMOUNT.PEOPLE ARE TELLING ME I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE.CAN YOU HELP
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about thsi unfortunate situation that you are in.

Can you please tell me what is your specific legal question for me?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

EVEN THOUGH I SIGNED PAPERS AT NURSING HOME SAYING I WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR MY MOMS BILL BEFORE I PAY THIS HUGE AMOUNT I WANT TO KNOW IF I AM LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR BILL

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

Since you did sign the financial responsibility form for your mother's nursing home stay, why do you feel or think that you would not or should not be responsible for the entire outstanding and unpaid bill related to your mother's stay at the nursing home?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
everyone is telling me to just check out my legal options
Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

Have you consulted with a local attorney regarding this issue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no just you should i check further or dont waste time and pay bill?
Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, when someone signs a financial responsibility form for another person and agrees to be held personally responsible for another person's medical / nursing home treatment, generally such form and agreement would make the person who signed it personally liable for the treatment of the person for whom the form was signed.

However, there is always a possibility to verify and dispute any charged for medical treatment or nursing home stay, which might appear questionable or erroneous to you and also you can always negotiate a settlement with the nursing home and in many cases such debts can be settled for 50% or less of the entire amount, especially if you are able to make a settlement payment in lump sum.

I wish you the best of luck!
Dear XXXXX,

Do you have any related follow up questions?