CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

is it permissible for people to erect their mailbox on private

is it permissible for people to erect their mailbox on private property without permission?

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you today.

William B. Esq. :

I just want to confirm my understanding, you are asking whether or not someone is able to place a post office box on another person's property. Is that correct? (It is permissible to place a box on your own private property, you may not place a box on someone else's property without permission - that is trespassing).

William B. Esq. :

(This does not appear germane to your inquiry, but for the requirements on placing a Post Office Box, you can locate the USPS requirements here:

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, I we have had some issues with browser compatibility and our "chat" function. I am going to transfer our conversation to our "Q&A" format to ensure that you are able to review my answer, and that I can respond to any questions you may have.

In summary, while I would like to confirm your question, the short answer is: you may erect a post box on your own property, or on another's property with their permission. You may not erect a post box on another's property without permission, it is trespass and is actionable, both for the cost of removal of the box, and for exemplary damages.