Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

I had the city foreclose on my home for taxes but now will

I had the city foreclose on my home for taxes but now will vacate the judgement now that I paid the taxes. During the time between the foreclosure and vacating of the foreclosure damage was done to the home can I still file a claim with my insurance company since the change in ownership was voided?

Hello there

-

As far as you know, after the city foreclosed for the tax issues -- had they filed the tax sale deed at the registry of deeds in your local county ?

-

MARY

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I believe they did
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No they haven't

Hello again James --

-

Because they have not filed a transfer deed (it is still legally in your name at the registry of deeds) and you are in the one year period of redemption that an owner has after foreclosure in a tax sale situation in Wisconsin (meaning that if you pay up the taxes you can get the property returned to you, as it seems you have done) and if the insurance premiums were all paid up to date throughout that period of time, then you should have no problems filing a claim for the damages and having the insurer repair the property (the city/town is not required to carry insurance on any house during the redemption period - that is the owner's responsibility if the owner is working towards getting the house back under the redemption laws). If the insurer gives you a hard time about paying for these damages (which I doubt will happen), then you should contact your state agency that handles issues and complaints about insurance companies and insurance policies. Here is a link to the WIsconsin Insurance Dept website where you can get links to complaint forms and instructions on how to file a complaint about an insurer. An insurance company has a legal obligation to reasonably settle every claim within a reasonable period of time after the claim is made (typically 30 days).

-

MARY

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face underneath this ANSWER box so I will be paid for my time. I am paid NOTHING unless you press a positive rating below. Pressing the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below will NOT cost you any additional money and it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you today. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!