Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

Im a registered nurse in Florida that was taken by ambulance

I'm a registered nurse in Florida that was taken by ambulance to the hospital I work at secondary to an assault with an altered mental status and subsequently had a "Baker Act" signed and transferred onto a mental health facility. My supervisor used my private medical information to report me to the Board of Nursing. Do HIPPA laws not apply for protection of my medical information? I was a patient and not an employee when this incident happened.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

HIPAA privacy rules apply to confidential medical information which is in the hands of medical providers. As a patient, you are entitled to the protection of the HIPAA rules which, oddly enough, would not apply to you as an employee.

However, your supervisor also has mandatory reporting duties which she can fulfill, without releasing protected information, to protect patient welfare.

You can file a HIPAA complaint with the Dept of Health and Human Services. Additionally, if she released your private information as a patient then you can file your own complaint with the Nursing Board and with your hospital.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
At this same facility they allowed the deputy to sign me out "against medical advice" and the hospital failed to transfer me to the nearest appropriate facility.
You may also have a medical malpractice complaint against the hospital. You would want to review that claim with local counsel.

If you need help finding local counsel, try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty.

Thank you.