Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

In June of 2012 my family and I left our home as it was an

In June of 2012 my family and I left our home as it was an upside down loan and we were no long able to pay the payments., we also file for bankruptcy. At this time I also stopped paying the water bill associated with this home. I notified the city that we were no longer living there and the water was shut off. The city continued to bill me 83.00 a month even though they had shut the water off to the home completely. Today I received a notice of collection from the city for over 1400.00. The home was foreclosed on by chase in June of this year. Is it legal for the city to charge us for water that was never used or turned on in a home we no longer lived in?
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Good question. Did you formally close the account with them or did you formally add their debt to your bankruptcy petition by listing them as a creditor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no it was not added to bankruptcy because the water had been shut off. They told me when they shut off the water that foreclosure was not their problems and the water would be shut off but still billed. I asked how this was legal and they said it was their policy.

Thank you for your follow-up.

In that situation this remains a valid bill, unfortunately. If the property is still under your name (that is, the property you left behind was never transferred to someone else and the water bill was never transferred to a new person, shutting down the utility does not terminate or otherwise affect the billing. In addition, since this party was never listed as a creditor with the bankruptcy petition, their right to seek compensation remains--their debt, both past and on-going,was never formally discharged. If they were listed on your application and the judge agreed to discharge that debt, then my answer would differ, but as the debt remained, so did their ability to add additional charges and to pursue payments.

Good luck.