Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Is there a ADA requirement for a walkway from Handicap parking

Is there a ADA requirement for a walkway from Handicap parking to a curb?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

In GA and under the Federal ADA guidelines there is only a requirement for curb ramps at pedestrian crossings. See: 28 C.F.R. §§ 35.150(d)(2), 35.151(2 (e). There are no specific requirements that a special walkway must be built from the handicapped parking spaces to the curb under the CFR that governs ADA requirements.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there any ADA law stating that a painted walkway with hash lines must be in place from the handicap area to the handicap ramp?

Thank you for your follow up question.

No, the CFR does not provide for the painted walkway from the area to the ramp I am afraid. I see that done on some private property, but not all and there is no basis for it in the ADA guidelines.