WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney
16356563

Hello, I recently moved from Marylan to NYC and am in the

I recently moved from Marylan to NYC and am in the process of looking for an apartment. A potential landlord informed me that i have housing court filings from MD. While in MD, I lived with a roommate whom would not always pay rent on time. She would always pay the rent before the court date and there were never any judgements filed againt us. I don't see any of the housing court filings on my credit reports and am not sure how to get them removed from the housing court records. Please advise.

Thank you!

WALLSTREETLAW :

Hello I am a licensed attorney. I am here to help answer your questions. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification

WALLSTREETLAW :

If the housing record showed up on your credit report or civil court search,

WALLSTREETLAW :

it will take some time to remove it, first you have to find out which report was used and what they listed, you would have to contact the agency that reported it, and advise them you have no judgment and the case was settled or never happened,

WALLSTREETLAW :

It is best to have the previous landlord submit a letter of good standing as well, so you can show it to future landlords,

WALLSTREETLAW :

If this is a civil court search, and your name was part of a civil suit,

WALLSTREETLAW :

that is public record, and difficult to remove,

WALLSTREETLAW :

The only way to do this, would be to hire an attorney in MD, and file a motion to seal or vacate the record,

Customer:

Thanks for your response. I've reviwe all three of my credit reports and there aren't any collections or public records.

WALLSTREETLAW :

In NY, landlords use a public search records search, so if your name was ever associated with a housing court lawsuit,

WALLSTREETLAW :

it would show up, so at this point, you should obtain a letter from the former landlord,

WALLSTREETLAW :

or try to seal the civil court case, which may be expensive,

WALLSTREETLAW :

I would run your own civil court check as well, and see what shows up,

Customer:

Thanks!

WALLSTREETLAW :

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.