Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

I found a journal laying open in an unlocked public room at

I found a journal laying open in an unlocked public room at work . The journal belonged to a coworker. In a glance I noticed words about "wishing to be dead" and "suicide" . The journal stayed in the same place for several days. Being concerned about their mental health I copied the page and gave it to the coworkers supervisor hoping they could get help for this person. The supervisor told the coworker how they got the information and now the coworker has threatened to sue me for invasion of privacy. Can they sue me since they left the journal laying out with it open to this page?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

I am really sorry to hear that this was the gratitude you were shown when all you were trying to do is get help for a co-worker and I am surprised that the supervisor does not have the brains to think of what he is doing.

You do not have to worry, you did not invade anybody's privacy. An individual has a valid expectation of privacy in his home, in an enclosed area away from public view or earshot of other people, but it is not reasonable for anyone to have an expectation of privacy in a public room at his work place and which is used by other employees. Nor, can an employee have any reasonable expectation of privacy of a personal journal which he leaves lying in the room used by other employees. Therefore, there is no way that you invaded his privacy in any way.

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, Please rate a 10 as it gives me a greater opportunity to assist other customers on this website and is greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After I made the copy for the supervisor I put the book back where I found it so the owner of the book could find it. I have seen the book in the possession of the coworker but they are now claiming to the supervisor that that I had stolen the journal. The coworker is demanding I return the journal but I don't have it. I was only concerned about the coworker but I think I am going to be terminated because of the accusation. I didn't steal anything. Is there anything I can do other than just go look for a new job? This has taken place in the State of Iowa in case that makes a difference.

With respect to your job, even if you had a written Employment Agreement with your employer, the employer could terminate you for cause and if they are accusing you of stealing that would qualify as "cause".

If I were in your position and I tried to help a co-worker and then I was later accused of stealing, and terminated for that reason, I would file a lawsuit against everyone there for slander and defamation of character. I certainly would not let them do that to me and get away with it. Instead of thanking you, this is how they show their gratitude. At that point, I would have nothing to lose, so I would sue them for slander and demand damages. Please remember to leave a positive rating; it does not cost you anything additional and it is the only way I receive credit for assisting you,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.