Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

My friend is currently working in singapore. Way back in philippines

My friend is currently working in singapore. Way back in philippines he has an outstanding payable amount to a credit card company which according to him was used by a friend but with his consent. However, this friend did not pay him back anymore until the credit card company demanded to him to settle. Until they seek the help of a law firm to collect such amount. It has been almost 5years and now this law firm in the philippines suddenly send email message to my friend's company where he work here in singapore putting him to embarrasment wondering as to how and why did they able to know where he is working. It's as if he feels that they intruded his privacy. What can he do to protect his right? Is there a so called law for this?
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Wendy and I'm a moderator for this Legal topic. Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com.

It was brought to our attention that you asked a legal question about the Philippines, where we do not have active professionals. As much as we would like to assist you, we have to be honest and say that the best we can do is provide a legal Internet researcher who might be able to find your answer. We realize that option is not ideal, and we always want to provide our customers with the best possible answer.

At this time, we'd like to give you the option of leaving your question open. Keep in mind that you're never obligated to accept an answer that you're not satisfied with, and you can try it out before you accept. Or, we can close your question page for you, if you prefer.

Thank you for your understanding,
Wendy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since i didnt get reply to my question due to no active professionals. Is there a way you can help me kniw the statute of limitations for credit card debts? Thank you.
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX not a professional who can help you but we will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Wendy
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

It is not a privacy issue. The credit card companies have many ways to find people all over the world. What has happened is that the attorneys have obtained a judgment against him and they are collecting it by having it deducted from his wages. This is legal. Under Philippine law, I believe he can file a bankruptcy and avoid paying, but he will have to contact an attorney there to find out about that. If he wants to avoid his employer being involved in any way, then he should make an arrangement to pay the judgment to the attorneys voluntarily in installment payments each month, or when he gets paid. If he makes those payments voluntarily, they will usually not go to his employer to attempt collection.

I hope this Answer is helpful and that you will give it a positive rating. If not, then do not enter a rating at this time and send back a Reply for more information or clarification. You should consult a local attorney to verify that this information is accurate for your state. Thank you for using Pearl.com- Just Answer. We appreciate your business.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dies the Philippine Law applicable in Singapore Law? Can they make demand to his employer in abroad to collect payment from his salary? Since the place of the event is in the Philippines and not outside Philippines do they have the right to involve the company where he is working? Just asking sp my friend will know what may be the possibilities of him that may affect his employment status. He is worried that the employer might terminate his contract.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is. You can't avoid creditors in Singapore. A debt that's from the Philippines will be collectible in Singapore. If your friend is concerned about his job, then he should contact a Singapore lawyer to help him. Or, do as I said before, and make a payment agreement with the lawyers. The collectors don't care if he loses his job because he's not paying them anyway. I wish there was a miracle cure that I could sell to him, but there isn't. They went to the trouble of finding him and they won't quit until he pays.
I hope that this information is helpful. If not, and you need further information, please do not rate this Answer and just send me a Reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be compensated for assisting you. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. Your business is appreciated.

Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience: Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.