Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

How r public defenders in Massachusttes selected for a case

This is related to the Tsarnaev case. How were Miriam Conrad, William Fick, and Timothy Watkins chosen for this particular case? Were they randomly appointed by the office (the electronic version of pulling names out of a hat per say)? Did Miriam Conrad (She is head of the US Public defenders office) volunteer herself for the case? Do cases go to her, and she assigns defenders to any particular case? Is it Miriam Bowler (the judge) who assigned the public defenders? If you know, can you cite a source please? Thanks

Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

Thelawman2 :

Three federal public defenders were assigned the case based on being their turn to take new cases. A fourth attorney, XXXXX XXXXXe, has represented other high-profile defendants already, like the Unabomber. The judge had to approve of her joining the defense team after the attorney reach out and asked to be put on the case.

Customer:

Miriam Conrad is the chief attorney in the office. Fick and Watkins are part of her staff. Is she in the line to get cases? Is she taking the reigns of this case since it is so high profile? Or is it a coincidence that Conrad got this case(right place in line)? Is what you're saying is: that Fick and Watkins happened to be in the right place in line? What I mean by that is: do you remember in school where the teacher would ask the students to count off 1...2...3.., all the 1s would end up on one team, all the 2s on another, and 3's on another. So I guess Conrad, Fick, and Watkins are team 2 (or team Tsarnaev-however you want to put it)

Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience: Attorney-at-Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.