Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

I have a concern thats causing me to lose sleep. I attend

I have a concern that's causing me to lose sleep. I attend a university that uses a bank to process financial aid refunds. In addition, I have a private student loan with a different bank, but my loan is at risk of becoming delinquent due to unemployment. Thus, out of concern I called the bank that processes my financial aid refund to ask them if they're affiliated with the bank that has my private student loans because I was concerned that if they're somehow affiliated than they might utilize "cross-collateralization", and take my financial aid money to pay off the debt. However, when I called the bank that processes my financial aid money, I called from an anonymous phone number, and when they asked for my name, I gave them a fake first name, (but no last name) because I did not want the representative to identify me. I asked the representative what banks are they affiliated with, just so I know if my money is at risk of "cross-collateralization", but I did not give the representative this information. Now I'm concerned with what legal actions the bank can take since I gave them the wrong first name even though I have an account with them.

1) Could they take my financial aid refund money?

2) Would they be able to identify me using some sort of voice biometrics identification?

3) Did I break any laws or contractual agreement when I gave them a wrong first name (by the way, they asked for my name, I did not volunteer it)

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

You are worrying yourself needlessly because in your situation, you did nothing wrong. You gave a fake first name and asked a perfectly valid question. Forget about the reason you asked the question, you cannot get into trouble for what you were thinking and what motivated you to ask the question. The BotXXXXX XXXXXne is that you did nothing wrong and nothing illegal.

1. They cannot take away your financial aid refund money

2. They are not going to spend thousands of dollars to identify a voice which is not connected to an identity and who has asked a perfectly valid question

3. You did not break or violate any laws

You have nothing to worry about,

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, Please rate a 10 as it gives me a greater opportunity to assist other customers on this website and is greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt response. So using a fake first name does not violate any contractual agreement, or laws?

It is not a violation to use your first name only or a fake name. In this day and age of identity theft, it is probably safer to use a fake name when making an inquiry.

You have not violated any law, so you have nothing to worry about. Please do not forget to leave a rating, otherwise I do not receive credit for assisting you,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm still somehow worried that they might pursue legal action and take my financial aid money from my account. I know it goes against logic, but I just couldn't sleep last night thinking about it. The representative became very yncomfortable with my queations and she asked for my name, and I panicked and gave them a false first name, and I think the fact that the representative became uncomfortable and suspicious, that made me worried, and the fact that i panicked and gave her the wrong first name, made me worry even more.

I have an ethical obligation to you and all my customers to give only correct Answers and information. Sometimes, I haave the unpleasant task of delivering information that does not support the customer's position, but yours is not one of those situations. From the information you gave me, I can positively conclude that you did not violate any laws, either in not giving your real name, or in making a perfectly legal inquiry. They do not record the voice of their customers when they open accounts or when they conduct their business with the bank, or at any other time. This is the third Answer I am giving you and you still have not rated my service which means that I will not receive credit for assisting you or furnishing you with Answers and information. I do not think that I can add anything to the Answers I already gave you

ANDREA