Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

My 19 year old left home. She is still covered by my insurance.

My 19 year old left home. She is still covered by my insurance. She is living at a group home for teens, and is not working. She got very sick with ITP, spent two months in the hospital. I paid $750 for hospitalization, even though it is not my responsibility. The insurance, BC BS, company also sent me checks to cover some of the bills. The checks were sent to my name. When I asked the insurance company if i should sign the checks over to the doctors, they said no. They said wait for bills, etc. And so i banked the money. My daughter is presently unemployed, i would like for her to apply for charity.It seems like fraud, but if the hospital and the doctor agree that she is a charity case, Can I keep the money, for her future education?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, public medical assistance is need based. In order to qualify you wold need to commit fraud and say that your daughter is not covered by insurance. This fact will be easily discovered when the agency (medicaid, social security, etc.) does a cursory review of her medical records.

Therefore, it would not be possible to qualify or accept benefits without committing a crime.

I am sorry. I realize this is not the answer you were hoping for. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I ask that you not penalize me for having to deliver less than favorable news.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you. I believe that in my heart I knew that it was wrong, but I was only hoping to help my daughter. i will have her send me the bills and then pay them. You are awesome!

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX your kind words.

You are very welcome. I hope everything works out ok for you.

If you have not already do so, please remember to leave a favorable rating so that I am paid for assisting you.
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Margaret, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.