Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I found a blank money order and cashed it the owner has tract

I found a blank money order and cashed it the owner has tract me down whats the correct way to retify. Do I wait for the police or can I make an arrangement with the person.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
In a situation like this, technically you should have turned in the money order to the police since clearly it was lost and not abandoned property. But regardless, it is always better to settle these type of things without police involvement if possible. I wouldn't want to run the risk of getting charged with something like left of mislaid property and then have to deal with the criminal justice system.
.
So it is much better to just reimburse the person for the money and keep this out of the courts. If you do so, make sure you get a signed receipt for the payment to show that you have reimbursed them.
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So if I make arrangements they can stop the procedure of pressing charges?. I don't have all the money at one time but plan to pay back

Well, if they haven't filed any type of criminal complaint, then yes. If they have filed a criminal complaint, then it is up to the DA whether to actually press charges or not. But if you have repaid the money, or most of it, that would go a long way towards the DA deciding not to file any formal criminal charges..
.
.
Thanks