Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Is Michigan a community property state,and why would the police

Customer Question

Is Michigan a community property state,and why would the police say it is. john
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Barrister and I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.

No, it is not. In the United States there are ten community property states: Alaska, Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin.

.

As for why the police would tell you this, the vast majority of them are not attorneys and have very little knowledge of the law outside criminal law. So if you are having a civil issue, then that is typically outside their realm of expertise and relying on what they say might not be the best source of information.

.

.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would they use this to cover up for the person that took my sons property.He is a police sargent. john

Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Possibly...if they can convince you that MI is a community property state, that means that both spouses have an equal ownership of any property and one can not dispossess the other of it without a court order.
.
But if this is not a spousal situation, then whether a state is community property or not doesn't matter. Community property only refers to legal ownership between spouses.

.
.
Thanks