Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Missouri Marriage Laws - I am an ordained Deacon in the state

Missouri Marriage Laws - I am an ordained Deacon in the state of Colorado.
My mother has asked me if I can officiate her marriage in Missouri at the end of September.
Can I legally officiate the ceremony?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Because Missouri law requires that an officiant be a member of the clergy in the state, the only way that you would be able to perform the ceremony in Missouri is if you were affiliated with a religious institution in the state. If your mother has a local church of which she is a member, it might be worth asking them if they have any way of sponsoring out of state clergy members. You unfortunately wouldn't be able to perform a legal ceremony if you're not affiliated with any Missouri church or synagogue. The law is written to prevent people who were ordained on the internet from performing weddings, but the unfortunate effect is that you may not be able to, either.

The other option, if your mother wants you to preside over the ceremony, is for her to go to City Hall and have the legal ceremony performed, then have you officiate the celebration for friends and family. That way, there aren't any issues with whether the marriage is legally valid and no one needs to even know about the other vows.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.