Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.

my brother paid a lawyer $2000+ so he could be the executor

my brother paid a lawyer $2000+ so he could be the executor of a texas will. Is that legal?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. If I have not answered your question, please let me know and I will be glad to explain further.

1. Was your brother named in the will as the executor ?

2. What did the lawyer say that the $2,000 represented ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes, my brother was named in the will as executor and if he was unable it would be passed to me. But he had moved to Oklahoma 5 years (approx.) before my Mother died.

My sister let it slip about him paying the estate lawyer ( a personal friend of his for many years) to be able to remain executor.

I then saw online that u must live in Texas to execute a will in Texas. Is that correct?

Thank you for your reply and your additional information,

Although the Executor of a Texas will does not have to be a resident of Texas, he/she is required to appoint a resident agent in Texas to receive formal notices and process for them once they are appointed. So, although your brother could act as Executor, he should have appointed someone as his agent to receive formal notices for the estate and you would have been the likely person if you were a resident of Texas at that time. The Attorney should have advised your brother of this requirement,

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, Please rate a 10 as it gives me a greater opportunity to assist other customers on this website and is greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.