dylatess
dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues
29685164

Question #1: Can I transfer my twin girl 10 year old fifth

Customer Question

Question #1: Can I transfer my twin girl 10 year old fifth graders to a school not in our current district boundary lines? The transfer school district told me that the first day of school 8/14/13 was the cut off date. I am even willing to pay a fee to enroll them ASAP. (Both schools are public districts).

Question#2: If they are allowed to transfer can they ride the bus if I take them to the nearest stop? It is literally is 2.0 miles from our house.

Thanks for the clarification! I'm getting extremely conflicting information.
Expert:  dylatess replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. For over 34 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

Thanks for your question. Please note that not all questions are of a legal nature. Having said that, whether you can transfer the children is not up to a court of law nor based on state laws. Instead, each school district sets its own policy regarding whether you can transfer, time limits to do so, and policy regarding riding the bus. And a court of law would have no jurisdiction/no authority to decide otherwise. And if you disagree with a school district decision, your remedy is to petition the school board and apply for a hearing so that you can make your case. But it is not a legal matter. Sorry. I always feel bad when I give advice you may not want to hear. But likewise I am obligated as attorney to inform the way I am trained. Thanks for understanding. Please rate my answer ok or better so that I am compensated for assisting you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. I am still uncertain as to what is the "school of choice" law of Indiana. As a teacher myself, I get students from out if district all year long. It may be a matter of, "It's not what you know, it's who you know." I have an option of using my in-laws address since it is in the district. I may have to resort to that option.
Expert:  dylatess replied 3 years ago.

That sounds like a good plan. I wish you well.

Please rate my answer ok or better so that I am compensated for assisting you.

Expert:  dylatess replied 3 years ago.