David Weilbacher, Esq.
David Weilbacher, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Criminal & Civil Litigation, Estate Planning, Probate, and Bankruptcy
16956515

I live with my daughter and son in law. They pay me an "allowance"

Customer Question

I live with my daughter and son in law. They pay me an "allowance" to fill in the gaps with childcare and housekeeping. When I look at applying for health insurance my income qualifies me for low cost coverage but if they look at "household" income I will not. I am not a military dependent even though both other "household incomes" are military but I can't get reasonable insurance because I will have to claim their incomes. How do I get insurance based on the income I actually live on, my allowance and rental income?
Expert:  David Weilbacher, Esq. replied 3 years ago.

David Weilbacher, Esq. :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be happy to assist you. I need some additional information.

David Weilbacher, Esq. :

What is the name of the program you are applying to for insurance?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didn't see a "chat" come up. I won't apply until Oct. 1st when it's required but when I went on the website it showed my income would make me eligible for either medicaid or low cost health ins.

I understand your question. I am trying to learn from you what program you are referring to, so I can research the matter for you. You say you went on the agency's website. Can you give me the web address?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

never mind I'll just eat the penalty and forget the health insurance.

I don't understand. I would like to help you, but I need some information in order to do so.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't find the website I used. I do know that both Medicaid and the "low cost" options take into consideration household income whether you are a beneficiary of that income or not. I live on my income not my daughter and son in law's income but that is not taken into consideration by Medicaid or apparently the insurance exchanges. The site I was on was through the State of Nevada but I could not find it when I went back.

I would like to help you...I really would, but I need some information from you in order to do so.

I suggest you contact the Nevada Division of Aging has an Elder Care Help Line. There is an elder rights advocate available to assist in finding Medicare, Medicaid and benefit coverage information and counseling services. Their number statewide number is: 1-800-307-4444.

http://www.nvaging.net/medicaid.htm

If you cooperate with them, and provide all of the necessary information, they might be able to identify a program at the federal, state or local level that will serve your needs. Good luck.

I hope this answers your questions. If I can help further, please request me.

Please press the GREEN "ACCEPT" button so proper credit is provided for your Answer. Thank you and have a good day. This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. It is also to give you general information and a general understanding of the law. This website is not intended to give you specific legal advice. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. We attempt to provide quality information, but the law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance.