Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

whay are the laws about security cameras in public view,do

whay are the laws about security cameras in public view,do you have to post a sign?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

What state are you located in? Do the cameras record audio or only video?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

And what state are you in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Florida law prohibits videotaping someone in a place where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Fl. Stat., Section 810.011 and 810.014. For example, I don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your backyard, so I could not object to a camera that you placed that only recorded your backyard. A person who is in public does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy, as long as it's not a public restroom, changing area, or similar place where people typically walk around in a state of undress.

People sometimes place signs at the entrances to premises that the area is monitored or recorded because that means that any person who enters is consenting to the possibility of being recorded. Anyone who doesn't want to be recorded has the option of leaving and taking their business elsewhere. The signs are just an added layer of protection. But the key is whether a person in a given place has a reasonable expectation of privacy. If they do, they cannot be recorded without consent.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.