Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I am 74 years old, have been trying to find work, bills piling

Customer Question

I am 74 years old, have been trying to find work, bills piling up on me so I decided to go for a reverse mortgage with/thru AAG.com. The house is in my name, I would be signing or calling in for the amount I would like to receive each month. QUESTION: If out of the blue I acquired AZ or dementia, or whatever, what legal paper(s) would I need to have my sister and my two son's able to sign for me? I live in Washington state.
Thank you [email protected]
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

You would not be able to sign anything to give them powers AFTER you became "incompetent". However, before you got to that stage you could give them a Power of Attorney which would allow them to conduct business for you. It is usually better to give it to only one at a time and you can have a local attorney draft it in such a way that there is a line of succession. If one can't or won't act as Power of Attorney then it passes to another.

JD 1992 :

There are forms online to do it as well, but the only place that I am aware of that has up to date forms is at http://lztrk.com/?a=2177&c=15&p=r&s1=

JD 1992 :

There may be others, but I'm not familiar with them.

JD 1992 :

If you should become disabled or incompetent before preparing a Power of Attorney then the only option they would have would be to petition the court for a guardianship. That i smuch more complicated and expensive though.

JD 1992 :

The website is showing you are offline so I will save and exit so I can assist others. I will be online most of the day but it may take a little while for me to answer if I am assisting others.

If you want to discuss this real time please wait here in Chat after providing an answer to the above question and I should be with you in a few minutes.

JACUSTOMER-tmg0xqt1- :

Well of course I would have a Power of Attorney made up BEFORE needed! My question is/was "is this the CORRECT LEGAL FORM to use???

JD 1992 :

Yes, that is the correct legal form for what you want based on your facts.

JACUSTOMER-tmg0xqt1- :

Well, earlier I sent you a reply, like I said I wanted to know what "forms" I should use......... I do know one has to have a signed "power of attorney" BEFORE if that complication comes up. Is there other forms I should have?

JACUSTOMER-tmg0xqt1- :

I do know I need to have a "signed" power of attorney BEFORE such a time comes.......... what other forms, if any, do I need?

JD 1992 :

Why did you rate this as Bad Service? your original question was "what legal paper(s) would I need to have my sister and my two son's able to sign for me?" and I answered that, very specifically with information stating that you needed a Power of Attorney.

JD 1992 :

A specific answer to a specific question.

JD 1992 :

You then returned and changed your question to "My question is/was "is this the CORRECT LEGAL FORM to use???"

JD 1992 :

And I, again, answered specifically, Yes.

JD 1992 :

Then you rated it as Bad Service. Each time I have provided a direct answer to your question within a few minutes of you answering it. Now you have asked another question after rating this as Bad Service.