Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Do New York State usury laws apply to medical bills? My son

Do New York State usury laws apply to medical bills? My son was charged $10 per month Finance charge on a $205 bill, now a collections company is looking for over $300. When I asked the doctors office, they said they had added a collections fee to the bill before referring. In their last bill, they made no mention of impending collections, or adding the collections fee. Is this legal? I can pay the bill, but should I?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The NY usury laws apply to individual personal loans and a collection fee is not considered interest. The NY usury interest rate maximum is 16% if this were a loan, but if it is not a loan it is a debt for services and is an exemption to the usury laws. Legally, they can charge this and the collection fees in NY as it falls outside of the "personal loan."

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.