Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.

if you communicated a threat and gripped someones wrist, no

if you communicated a threat and gripped someones wrist, no law enforcment was involved. They say that you damaged a ring and have asked for you to replace the ring and that would be the end of it. If you reimburse for the ring and add some funds for thier troulbe can they still sue you. This occured 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

Just paying them will not stop their potential legal options.

They could still sue for assault and battery. If the amount given was less than the damage, they could sue for the difference. However, you'd receive credit for what was already paid.

They can also still report the grabbing to the police.

For you to limit their legal options, you'd actually have to have them sign a release of all claims related to the incident. Even that would only stop them from suing for the ring and the "assault." It wouldn't stop them from contacting the police.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the response and I guess the most important consideration for me is to try and do the right thing. I do not normally drink and apparently this incident occurred although I do not have a clear memory of the incident they have however wrote me via text message that if I compensated them this would be the end of it and they would except my apology. I guess my question is does having that in writing offer any protection? Again I believe I should do it either way as a good faith measure. Since it would not matter either way as far them contacting law enforcement I would assume the release is not the relevant if I could prove I made the payment.
It would be allowed as evidence potentially in court, such that, the court could choose to not go forward with the claim or find you liable but give them no damages based on their statement.

So, the release would really be more about not having to go to court at all. The text message could certainly assist in stopping them from being able to claim more damages.

Proving payment though would be key. I would go to the bank to have a special, certified check, made up.