Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions
Unfortunately I have a brotherinlaw that I served a notice to vacate. He was a month to month tenant that supposedly was to pay me $900 a month which I have the signed contract. He didn't keep up his end of the bargain after months of negotiating and in the interim I have to move myself for this is my mothers home left to me but since I am not sixty two of age and she had a reverse mortgage we have to leave by Oct. He knew all that. However I never took him to court to sue for rest of my money, I've been so busy and financially strapped from the non payment of rent, for I am home with mending a fractured leg and cannot work, and my husband works two jobs to make ends meet. However, he will not leave. I served him with a notice to vacate and his last day was stated July 31, he is hmmming and hawing and dragging his feet to leave, and its now almost the end of august. He says he got a room or apt and the keys and he still hasnt moved. most of his stuff is out but he is still here in my downstairs apt. Its a two family apt. What else can I do to enforce the notice of vacate that he is long overdue in honoring?
I logged on to an online law site that provides online notices and its legally registered. So he did get the notice to vacate last day of June and it was noted that he must be out by July 31st. However, he asked for two weeks more in which I gave. He has only paid me about $300 in June, for he owes me $7,000 in rent. In my case, the house will be sold in October and the the Realtor asked if the tenant would be out before then and I told them the same thing that I did give him a Notice to Vacate.
No I haven't received anything since then. I would like to evict him through courts but I'm wondering the costs in new york and all the info I need. I want to mention that the Notice of Vacate I sent him was general, it could be for any reason.
Thank you so much, it is very helpful. And also thank you for sending me the 3 day notice, my husband just came in and I was explaining it. One more question, if he decides to give me a small amount of money, would it be proper to say, to tell him we cannot accept it unless its the full amount and that lets say he actually saves me the trouble and leaves before I finish the proceedings, is it proper to say he send what he wants by money order and by certified mail once he leaves the premises, otherwise, if I see its going to be a hassle, I will take my losses as long as he is out of the premises period.
Thank you very much, you have been more than a great help. If I need your help again, I'll be sure to notify you. Thanks again
Thanks so much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is very much appreciated!
It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. Please feel free to ask for me if you need help with anything in the future and I will do everything I can to help or get you to someone who can.