Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

My fiancé wants to sell his house because we are living together

My fiancé wants to sell his house because we are living together in my house and are intending to get married in 2 years and want to save money. However, he is unable to buy out his ex-wife and she will not sign the title over to him until he does per the divorce agreement. Her name is XXXXX XXXXX the mortgage but only the title. He stopped paying the mortgage and is waiting to go into foreclosure. He understands his credit (which is in the mid 500's) will take a large hit and take 7-10 years to be removed from his credit report. How will this affect my credit? Will he be able to co-sign (I work part time, he's at same position for 25 yrs and well over $50,000) on any loans I would need to take out?

Welcome and thank you for your question I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

I am guessing you want to know how it will affect your credit once you are a married couple. If you begin to file joint income tax returns, having his credit involved with your name will result in a decline in your scores.

I suggest there will be a tough time in getting him accepted as a co-signer and anything you then own jointly will be subject to any type of credit problems that he encounters.