How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question

Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2751
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i live in ohio. i was wondering why it is leagle for someone

Resolved Question:

i live in ohio. i was wondering why it is leagle for someone to plant evidance and turn them in for it. i had someone plant paranifanila in my house and call the cops on me. the guys who did it was living with me at the time. it was found at his feet. and i was gone all weekend. i wasent home very long after picking up my daughter from her moms about a hour. and the cops showed up. the police report stated that he was the one who called. it also states that he ddent know who it was and it was mine and that it was his. when then cops left they chaged him with it. a couple of months later i got charged with it. i went to court and it got dissmissed due to lack of evidance. now mind you the same guy also stole some of my stuff and cowinsodently they breaks in my car went out the same day. he never got charged with the theft. i was able to track him his location the day after the theft. i called the cops to tell them the information but they told me to call back in three days when the investigation office was on duty. needless to say he skiped town in thoes three days. and when i did talk to the investigating officer he said anyone could have handeled it that it dident have to be him to do it. two years later nothing has still been done about it. the guy that did this to me is known to be a informent when he gets busted for stuff. do i have any right too sue the police department for what they helped due to me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. The short answer to your question is that you would likely be barred from bringing suit against the police department if this action (or inaction) on the part of the police department took place more than two years ago, due to the applicable statute of limitations for suing a governmental entity.

The governmental entity also enjoys protection in the form of sovereign immunity to prevent suit against them in some cases as well. This case, which falls, unfortunately within their discretionary authority, would likely be barred based on sovereign immunity.

With all of that being said, you owe it to yourself to speak with an area plaintiff's attorney or two about your case. You would want to speak with attorneys that work in or around the area in which the police station is located. These attorneys may know of other people that have experienced similar treatment and that could join in a suit with you against the department.

Another method of retribution for you may be to contact local media outlets to report this behavior and see if they are willing to run a story on it. Bad publicity is something that law enforcement entities want to avoid if possible.

In summary, there may not be many, if any legal avenues of retribution for you in this case based on what you have told me. I hate to tell you that but I am obligated to tell you the legal reality of the situation. With that being said, it is worth it for you to speak with an area attorney or two just to make sure that they are not willing to at least try to file suit on your behalf based on other local knowledge of others being treated in similar fashion. You may also want to contact the local media as well about this treatment.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Best wishes going forward.
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2751
Experience: 10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Delta-Lawyer and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions