AttyCBradford
AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney At Law
66829710

What type of lawyer do I need when my ex boyfriend moved out

What type of lawyer do I need when my ex boyfriend moved out and left all of his belongings including a truck(it does not run) and a car? He owes me money also

AttyCBradford :

You need to sue him civilly in court for the money he owes you. If its a small amount you could consider filing a small claims lawsuit. In CA small claims are allowed when it is under or equal to $10,000.00

AttyCBradford :
Customer:

What type of lawyer should I contact ? I still have all his belongings and don't know what to do with them is this a land lord tenant case or like a family law case ? We were not married but he lived at my house for more than three years and left it all about a month ago

AttyCBradford :

You would need a civil lawyer to collect and sue for the money owed What is the money owed for? Was there a contract? As for his belongings you should notify him that they will be available for pick up. Here is a link as to what a Landlord must do with tenant property as that is what this case would fall closer to

AttyCBradford :

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/legal_guides/lt-5.shtml

Customer:

The money was for rent and yes I have a signed paper as to what he owed . He agreed to pay back rent when he got a settlement but when he got it he left. Can i put a lien on the car

AttyCBradford :

Yes you can put a lien on the car but you will need to obtain a judgment first for the back owed rent. You could proceed in small claims if udner the 10,000.00 otherwise contact a civil attorney to sue in superior court

AttyCBradford :
Customer:

Thank You