Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

my husbands friend left his dog here at my house over 2 1/2

my husbands friend left his dog here at my house over 2 1/2 years ago. from that day on he has never given me anything to support the dog not a dime my husband will not feed the dog or take care of it so i got stuck ... I am the only one who feed it, walked it, water it , and bath it, and I have run up vet bills taking care of this dog out of my own pocket. with absolutely no reinbersment of any type from the guy that left the dog , and i asked many times. not to mention they insisted i buy Blue buffalo dog food for the dog to build as much muscle as possible this costs me $65 to $100 per month. It is a large pit bull. NOW my husband is incarcerated and his friend called me saying if i dont give him the dog he will bring the papers of the dogs, with the police and have me thrown in jail. I NEVER asked for this dog and at first screamed for them to take it back bc it wasnt my responsability. but over the years have become attached to him. At first i was told i could keep the dog and certify it to be my care dog because jerry the original dog owner could not afford it anymore the dog was starving the last time he handed it over to me. now I am 100% disabled from the Iraq war. I spoke with my apartments and the dog is on my lease also. NOW the man jerry said yesterday he was going to come by to pick up HIS dog with the papers ad if i dont hand him over he will have me arrested, he still never came and got the dog. So i called the police to see where i stand. I just do not think it is fair i foot the bill for this dog two years and all the sudden he comes back saying hand over the dog and threatens me about it. Im way out of money on this dog, i love him, have worked on training him. the officer said im in the right to keep the dog and when the guy comes to my house put a criminal trespass against the other man, and the police will make him settel it out in court. can you PLEASE enlighten me as to what my rights are in this situation. i live here in ft worth texas. and if the guy were to end up with the dog i would hope id get reembursed for all the money ive been out of maintaining care for it.

thank you amanda
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello

Welcome and thank you for your question I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

First of all, Thank You for your service to our Country.

Secondly, this person has no right to this dog as it is considered abandoned. And so should he come onto your property, I suggest you do not let him in or even open you door but instead call the police and have him removed as a trespasser

If he continues to call and harass you, I suggest you tell him he is to stop the phone calls or you will file criminal harassment charges and get a restraining order.
Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.