WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney
16356563

What is the best way to settle a civil judgment in CA? Can

What is the best way to settle a civil judgment in CA?
Can we negotiate?
Expert:  WALLSTREETFIGHTER replied 1 year ago.

WALLSTREETLAW :

Hello I am a licensed attorney. I am here to help answer your questions. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification

WALLSTREETLAW :

To settle a civil judgment, you can contact the creditor or collection agency and threaten them with a bankruptcy filling,

Customer:

Hi thank you!

WALLSTREETLAW :

and see if they will take a 20% payment for the balance,

Customer:

I see

WALLSTREETLAW :

you should offer this first, and work your way up if you wish,

Customer:

That is a great idea

WALLSTREETLAW :

Since a judgment was already given, they will have leverage, however if you can show that you have limited income and assets they may try to negotiate,

WALLSTREETLAW :

at worst they will usually take a 50% plan

Customer:

the judgment is in CA and we are moving to IL I assume that they can still get us...

WALLSTREETLAW :

yes, it is harder,

WALLSTREETLAW :

but they can do this, as they can garnish wages through your social security

WALLSTREETLAW :

number

Customer:

I see

Customer:

The advice you gave us is very sound

Customer:

Thank you so much!

WALLSTREETLAW :

Another option is to not open any bank accounts, and close the one you have now,

Customer:

We will contact them and start as you suggested with offering 20%

WALLSTREETLAW :

so they cannot freeze the accounts,

WALLSTREETLAW :

they may try to settle with you at that point, but do offer 20% with a threat of bankruptcy

Customer:

Got it :-)

WALLSTREETLAW :

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

WALLSTREETLAW :

If satisfied please provide us with positive feedback, thank you

Customer:

The situation is that the judgment is on my wife's name, on a property she owned BEFORE we got married

Customer:

Will do

Customer:

Thank you for your time and great advice

WALLSTREETLAW :

they can only go after her, as this would be separate property,

WALLSTREETLAW :

in CA they may try to go after you as it is a common law state,

WALLSTREETLAW :

In Illinois, they can only go after her.

Customer:

:-)

Customer:

Awesome

WALLSTREETLAW :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer:

Thank you for your time, if we do we will try and ping you again

Customer:

Great service :-)!!!

WALLSTREETLAW :

Good luck, and If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you

WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney
Experience: 14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney