How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27009
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend and I need to save money for our wedding ceremony

This answer was rated:

My girlfriend and I need to save money for our wedding ceremony and we thought it would be easier to move in together first to save money. My question: is it possible to have a marriage license beyond sixty days in order to plan and save for a wedding ceremony a year or two later?

Welcome and thank you for your question I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

Unfortunately, there is no process for a waiver of the 60 days. Once it expires, if you have not married you will need to pay the fee to have another one issued.

Congratulations and good luck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your swift response. My follow up question is will we be able to live together legally if we do not have a marriage license?


Of course, you can co-habitate

North Carolina, however, does not recognize Common Law marriage. So there is no marriage. You are simply living together.
Sam and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions