Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

My girlfriend and I need to save money for our wedding ceremony

My girlfriend and I need to save money for our wedding ceremony and we thought it would be easier to move in together first to save money. My question: is it possible to have a marriage license beyond sixty days in order to plan and save for a wedding ceremony a year or two later?

Welcome and thank you for your question I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

Unfortunately, there is no process for a waiver of the 60 days. Once it expires, if you have not married you will need to pay the fee to have another one issued.

Congratulations and good luck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your swift response. My follow up question is will we be able to live together legally if we do not have a marriage license?

Of course, you can co-habitate

North Carolina, however, does not recognize Common Law marriage. So there is no marriage. You are simply living together.