Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.

I was following the case involving 2 student at USC shot by

I was following the case involving 2 student at USC shot by to gang bangers, BXXXXX XXXXX and Jarvier Bolden. I was trying to find where the case currently stands and havent had any luck. I was hoping for some help finding out that information.

Thanks,
Chris
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 11 months ago.

Brandon M. :

Hello Chris.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hi Chris. The good news is that the information is available, but the bad news is that is it available at a small cost--- you can get the information about specific criminal defendants through the Los Angeles County Superior Court. The specific web page that you would need can be found through this link:

https://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/onlineservices/criminalIndex/index.asp?source=

I believe that the cost for less than 100 searches is $4.75 per search, but it will allow you to find out the specific status/outcome of every recent criminal case on file. Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thanks.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello, thanks so much. I signed up but cant really understand how to use the information or find what I need.

Ok, let's take it one step at a time. Did you get a user ID and password?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes i have it. I can give it to you if you like. I dont mind. Maybe you can look.

I actually don't want that responsibility, so let's avoid it if possible. Are you having difficulty logging in with your user ID and password? What happens when you try to log in?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

no, I can get that far. Im logged in and have a bunch of entries for BXXXXX XXXXX, but they have a bunch of different criminal codes and courthouses and things, so its hard to find what I need.

Do they have different case numbers, or are they all different case numbers?

Perhaps you can take a screen shot and attach it as a file? (Don't ask me how... I'm not a tech guy... it's just a suggestion if you already know how to do it.)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

just type in 922 for the verification code. Its ok. This one search is fine and it will be easiest if you look. I give you permission. I cant just attack the screen grab cause it has links youll have to click next and so on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

XXXXXXXXX is mu username and "XXXXXXXX" is my password. BXXXXX XXXXX is the guys name.

I'm confused... the user ID can only be 8 characters long, and the username you gave to me is 10 characters long.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

oh sorry, its actually "winteral" I typed in my full name, and it only took the max characters and cut off.

Ok, and to be clear, you give permission for me to search for BXXXXX XXXXX in this system, correct? It may result in a charge to the L.A. Superior Court in the amount of $4.75 or more, depending on the results.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes, i do give you permission to use my account to find out the information I requested, a search for bXXXXX XXXXX, and accept the charge of 4.75. I authorize this one search at this time, and no future searches, unless I approve them on a case by case basis.

Chris Winters

This is the information that you wanted:

Name: BARNES , BRYAN
Case Number LACBA397880-01 Filed At Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center
Filing Date 05/22/2012 Limited Jurisdiction
Count Charge
Section
Charge
Statute
Disposition Disposition
Date
01 187(A) Penal Code Case Pending
Case Pending
02 187(A) Penal Code Case Pending
Case Pending
03 664-187(A) Penal Code Case Pending
Case Pending
If the Charge Statute link is available, click on it to search for the Charge description.

Penal Code 187(A) is murder. 664-187(A) is attempted murder. The case is pending, which means that the case has not yet been settled--he will either reach a plea deal with the prosecutor's office or a jury will decide the outcome.
In other words, he is charged with two counts of murder and one count of attempted murder. He has neither been found guilty yet, nor has been acquitted.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

great work! thanks so much. Is there any information as to when the next court appearance would take place or what the next stage is as this proceeds to trial? Its a high profile case, Im sure there would be news articles, but I was curious when the next date for movement might be.

That information would only be available through the court house. If you give the clerk at the criminal court house the case number (LACBA397880-01), they may be able to tell you what court dates are pending. I'm not personally familiar with the Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center, so I can't say if the clerks at that particular courthouse have the resources to accommodate those types of request by phone. The only other alternative is to physically visit the court and request the information, which may require extracting the case file.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks so much. I may have follow up requests, but for now this is great.

It was my pleasure. Best of luck.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience: Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.