Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

I received a failure to reduce speed ticket (I hit a car from

I received a failure to reduce speed ticket (I hit a car from behind). It is my first ticket. This happened in North Caroina. Should I bring a letter from my insurance company stating they have covered the damages or should I seek a prayer of judgement.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

Before we begin, a bit more detail would be helpful please.

Does the other driver have your insurance information?

Did the officer witness the accident?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The Officer did not witness the accident. Yes, the other car has my information and my insurance already paid their damages. I have a court date the first week in September for the ticket.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the additional information.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

There is a good chance that the prosecutor will not be able to convict you.

Because the officer did not witness the accident, he can not testify as to what happened. The other driver would have to come to court and testify in order for you to be found guilty.

Most people do not care about the ticket issued in an accident, so long as the damages are paid. That means there is a very good chance that other driver will not appear and the case will be dismissed.

Therefore, when you go to court see if the other driver shows up (it is likely they will not). If they do not the prosecutor will ask the officer if they witnessed the accident. When the officer tells them they did not the prosecutor will ask the judge to dismiss the case.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The office said I should bring a letter from my insurance company. Others I have talked to who have had this ticket have never said the charge was dismissed.
Bring your proof of insurance, but the other driver needs to testify for you to be convicted.

If the officer tries to testify as to what he was told it is hearsay and inadmissible. The other people you spoke to may not have known and just pled guilty.

Thank you.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Tim, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.