Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

If I signed a proposal for a small renovation to my home, a

If I signed a proposal for a small renovation to my home, a proposal that had no dealine to cancell or was discuss about, and I cancelled the project 1 day before starting. Do I need to compensate the unlicensed contractor at his asking price of 2wks compensation @ $85/hr which come to 80hr @ $85/hr= $6,800.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If there is no clause in the agreement pertaining to early termination, neither party can terminate without the permission of the other. As a consequence your cancellation (if the language in the contract does not permit for early cancellation) is not really valid until and if he releases you from the contract. His offer of $6,800 is as valid as your counter-offer of $650 because there is no language in the agreement that gives you the right to cancel or his obligation to honor your termination. If he is unwilling to release you, then the contract is valid. You may need to negotiate further with him, and thraten to contact the licensing board over the fact he isn't bonded and licensed.

Good luck.