How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 23109
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrest on Sat night, handcuffed and put in back of a

This answer was rated:

I was arrest on Sat night, handcuffed and put in back of a sheriff's car. The charge was communication harrassment. I have pulled all my cell phone bills and my home phone bills and can prove i did not harass this person. What legal recourse do I have. This person and I are in the middle of a custody battle over our 4yo granddaughter and she did this maliciously to cost me money and embarassment.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Below is the section under which you are charged and the burden is on the State of Alabama, to prove the charge against you beyond a reasonable doubt. They are going to have to show the elements listed below and will need to do this through evidence and testimony. It is first going to need to be determined how this person claims you contacted them. If they say it was from your cell or home phone and you have the call logs, you will be able to fight this and prove them wrong. At the same time, they may claim it was from a different number but it was you, which is why nothing appears on the home or cell records. Moreover, you can certainly show that this person has a motive, since you are in a custody battle and they are trying to hurt you for their own gain and make up lies, in the process. Your attorney is going to make a demand for discovery, so all the evidence which the State has and will be used against you can be turned over for review. In addition, the "victim" will likely be deposed, so more information can be gained as to what happened. Your attorney can certainly present the phone records and other possible evidence to show there is no basis and the victim made this all up. If not, then you will need to proceed to trial, if the State is not going to drop it and insists the victim is telling the truth. The first thing is to fight the criminal charge and then you could go after her civilly if she did with maliciously and you suffered damages.

Section 13A-11-8

Harassment or harassing communications.

(a)(1) HARASSMENT. A person commits the crime of harassment if, with intent to harass, annoy, or alarm another person, he or she either:

a. Strikes, shoves, kicks, or otherwise touches a person or subjects him or her to physical contact.

b. Directs abusive or obscene language or makes an obscene gesture towards another person.

(2) For purposes of this section, harassment shall include a threat, verbal or nonverbal, made with the intent to carry out the threat, that would cause a reasonable person who is the target of the threat to fear for his or her safety.

(3) Harassment is a Class C misdemeanor.

(b)(1) HARASSING COMMUNICATIONS. A person commits the crime of harassing communications if, with intent to harass or alarm another person, he or she does any of the following:

a. Communicates with a person, anonymously or otherwise, by telephone, telegraph, mail, or any other form of written or electronic communication, in a manner likely to harass or cause alarm.

b. Makes a telephone call, whether or not a conversation ensues, with no purpose of legitimate communication.

c. Telephones another person and addresses to or about such other person any lewd or obscene words or language.

Nothing in this section shall apply to legitimate business telephone communications.

(2) Harassing communications is a Class C misdemeanor.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The other grandmother has temporary custody of minor child. We had a visitation of every other weekend for the last 3 years . As of this date I have not seen my grandchild since June 7th, 2013. She is now fighting for full custody. I say all this, to let you know this is a stressful situation. She knows how to push my buttons by stating false hood, fileing a false harrassment charge and even changing her phone number. She is employed by an attorney and uses her position to harrass me. What constitutes lewd language. I have never directed any personal but I have used words like bullshit, damn, shit. Does this hurt me:? The visitation is not on paper but mutually agreed, when she got temp custody.

Thank you for the additional information. Lewd has to do with sexual behavior or remarks that are highly inappropriate or obscene. I do not think using those words in the context of the conversation to describe your thoughts, feeling or emotion may amount to it. However, if you were cursing at her and using obscene words, it may hurt your case.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

other than proving her a lair, is there anything I could charge her with, ie filing a false police report?

Filing a false police report is a crime against the State of Alabama, so it would be the police or the prosecutor that would have to charge her, if it was proved that she lied, there was no basis for the report and that her sole intention was to harm you.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 23109
Experience: 9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
LegalKnowledge and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, would I have to talk with DA to bring attention to the situation?

Yes, once it is shown what their intent was and there is evidence to support the filing of a false police report.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions