Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

I have another question. I am currently being sued by a tenant.

I have another question. I am currently being sued by a tenant. Will I lose because of hiring an unlicensed handyman?

Thank you for your follow-up, and thank you kindly for requesting me to assist you further.

That depends. Was the work done in a shoddy manner? If not, whom you hired for the work is your business. The tenant can claim that by failing to hire someone licensed the work may be subpar and not acceptable, but the burden is still on him to prove it--he would need to potentially have an inspector evaluate the work, claim it is uninhabitable or not up to code, and use that as evidence. But beyond that there is no law that a landlord has to hire bonded contractors, merely that he has to perform repairs and ensure habitable units. In essence if you yourself wish to perform repairs and you are not licensed, it is not a violation.

Good luck.