John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

hello, As a Pro Se in a federal case in Ohio, do i need

hello,

As a Pro Se in a federal case in Ohio, do i need to speak in "third person" in my motions, or is that optional? (it ruins my flow when im writing to always say "Plaintiff" instead of I. But if that's mandatory, I understand. Thank you.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. There is no requirement that you write in the third person. Attorney's will use either the parties' names (i.e., Mr. Jones) or party designation (i.e., Plaintiff) to avoid confusion to the reader. But if it disrupts you that much to write like that, then it is perfectly fine in my opinion for a pro se defendant to write in the first person.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – select the Reply to Expert or Continue Conversation button. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

wow, Ive written so many in third person, and its messed me up for so long. I should have asked this earlier. Thank you very much.

I do have one last question. I am to be deposed by the defendants, and I have real bad problems due to my ADHD, as to comprehension of questions when they are not written down. I was given accommodations in college for this long running problem. Can I request the deposition questions be written down for me and i be able to answer in writing? Or ADA accommodations ? If so can you point me to the statute or rule that allows for such accommodations ? I can look it up from there, thank you.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
A deposition is a private act between parties thus there is no right to ADA accommodation in the same. And, while it is an option for a party to submit a written deposition, there is no requirement that they must do it in writing rather than orally. But, as a deponent, you have the right to review the transcript of the deposition and make changes to your answers within 30 days after the transcript is available. See FRCP 30

Likewise, it may be a good idea for you to tell the opposing party/attorney before the deposition begins and on the record that you have ADHD and need the questions submitted slowly and probably will need repeats.
John, Attorney
Experience: Licensed and practicing attorney.