Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

My son who just turned 18 in May is being investigated for

My son who just turned 18 in May is being investigated for having underage sex with two female individuals. Both are age 15, and were willing participants. He is a smart boy who made a terrible mistake! Any input? no prior legal issues. Senior in high school.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. Please allow me to assist you this afternoon.

Rules on 'age of consent' differ from state to state. Where did this take place, and when did the sexual activity take place, before or after he turned 18?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

We live in WI. He has been in a 10 month long relationship with this gal before he was 18 and after. The latest incident with the 2nd girl, he was 18.

Thank you for your follow-up, Sharon.

Wisconsin is especially tough. The 'age of consent' is 18, and there are no laws in place for 'close in age' sexual contact, something that is referred to as 'Romeo and Juliet' statutes in other states. Wisconsin also happens to one of a handful (11 out 50) states that have such strict laws in place. Consequently the state has a zero tolerance policy on any sexual activity, even consented activity, because under state law anyone under 18 and being a minor cannot legally consent.

I wish I had a different answer here, and that is why I needed to know your location. The best suggestion here by far is to retain counsel ASAP and to have the attorney speak with the DA on behalf of your son. If they choose to pursue charges and they choose to convict, your son would be considered a sex offender and that would be on his record for life. I happen to agree that this is absolutely unjust and unfair, but I wanted to point out just how important fighting these allegations or even charges may be in this instance.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.