Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I received a letter of garnishment via regular mail. I was

I received a letter of garnishment via regular mail. I was never informed of this and the paperwork doesn't have any signatures. It shows 2 case numbers (one for constable office and one for the justice court. Is this real or is this just a scare tactic? When I searched both numbers it stated no record found.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Do you know whether you have been sued yet? What type of debt is involved?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't received a paycheck as of yet so I don't know if this is real. This paperwork is the only thing I have. It's a credit card debt that was placed in charge off status 1/2/2011. This paperwork was sent via regular mail. I did not receive any registered mail or anything else concerning a court date or whatever procedure is required. I'm just curious that this may be just a scare tactic, which by the way its working, or a legitimate filling. I tried looking up the case number XXXXX couldn't find it. I Don't know what to do.

Thank you for providing this additional information, Robert.

This appears to be a scare tactic. A creditor cannot legally obtain a writ of garnishment until they have obtained a judgment against the creditor typically and since you have not been served with a summons and complaint yet, I suspect this letter is a scare tactic unfortunately.

A writ of attachment should normally be issued by a court and will have one case number. To confirm for certain that this is not a legitimate writ, you could call the clerk of the court on Monday and request information on the case numbers you have. If the case numbers don't exist, then you can be certain this is a scare tactic.

This is a rather brazen scare tactic which you might want to report to the FTC and state consumer protection agencies since it is unlawful for debt collectors to make false statements of fact when attempting to collect on a debt.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.