Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.

Getting a non-resident added to a vehicle title in PA

My husband is not a US resident, he has a green card as a permanent resident, but no PA state ID. Can he be added to a vehicle title so that the asset is protect should anything happen to me? All we want to do is add his name to the title as a co-owner. We are unable to get a PA photo ID because the federal card date is due for renew in January but he cannot apply for a new federal ID until November.

Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.
Hello

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

No ID is need to buy a car. However, it would be necessary to have a state Driver's License and proof of insurance to drive it

And so if you have the DL and the insurance, then you can put anyone's name on the title that you want.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The notary insists he needs a PA photo ID card. It seems like they are saying only a PA state ID will allow one to have their name on the title

Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.
Hello

Well that is not because he is going on the title, but rather because the Notary needs to verify his identification in order to verify he a signature. Is he signing anything?

The Notary should be able to use his passport and or green card.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

He has his passpot and his green card to verify his ID to sign any papers. He needs to sign to have him added to the title and she insists he cannot be added without a PA photo ID...which makes no sense as he has not needed a PA ID . He has his soc security card and other ID.

Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.
Hello

That is the choice of the Notary. Can you use another Notary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I tried 2 other tag services and they also insist he has to have a PA photo ID,that his federal ID is not good enough even though it has all his information and photo, which seems ridiculous that only someone with a PA ID could title a vehicle

Should I just keep trying other titling services?

Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.
Hello

Well, if the Notaries are requiring the state ID that is their policy
Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.